Text size: 

Maidstone Community Support Centre
The home of community work

History

  • The Maidstone Community Support Centre, formerly known as the Howard de Walden Institute for Women, so called after its benefactor the Dowager Lady Howard de Walden of Mote House, was built in Marsham Street, Maidstone during 1891.

 

  • The building went on to be a Voluntary Aid Detachment (V.A.D) hospital during the First World War and subsequently was purchased as a Nurses' Home by the West Kent Hospital.

 

  • During the Second World War, the first bombs to hit Maidstone fell on the site.  The damaged part of the building was demolished and today it is the Centre's main car park.

 

  • The Centre is currently home to around 30 charitable groups occupying 75 offices over three floors. Some of our member groups are part of national organisations while others are more regional and local. A whole range of voluntary and community work takes place in the Centre making it a valuable asset to Maidstone. The hiring out of our meeting, training and conference facilities to both internal and external groups pushes our annual footfall around 40,000 per annum.
T: 01622 690369 | admin@mcsc.org.uk